No software is error-free, and so the case of Adobe Reader. In a few cases, the users encounter some complicated and troublesome glitches in Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader error 14 is one of the common errors which you might confront while trying to open the PDF file. When this issue strikes, you can see the following error message – “Here was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (14)”.
This error basically appears for an outdated version of the Adobe Reader. It’s very irritating to find glitches while using the software on your device, then it’s necessary to know the most effective methods to solve this error code 14. This error is pretty prevalent and is faced by several users across the globe. In case you are also dealing with this error, go through this article to learn some effective solutions to mitigate this issue quickly.
Common Reasons Behind Adobe Reader Error 14
Error code 14 on Adobe Reader can crop up due to several reasons. The most prominent reasons for error 14 are:
- Corrupted PDF files.
- Outdated versions of Adobe Reader.
- Virus or malware infection.
- Incomplete installation of Adobe Acrobat software.
Ways to Troubleshoot Adobe Reader Error 14
Upon encountering the Adobe Reader error 14, follow the easy and effective methods provided below. These methods are approved by the best-in-class experts to remove this error.
Method 1: Update the Adobe Reader
When the version of the Adobe Reader software in your device is outdated, then it might be incompatible with the OS version of your device. Then, the PDF document won’t open in this earlier Adobe Reader option. So, if you update the Adobe Reader software to the latest version, then you can get rid of this issue. So, to update this software, you need to go through these below steps one by one:
- At first, open the Adobe Reader software on your device.
- Then, choose the Help option.
- Now, click on the ‘Check for updates’ option.
- You can see the update option if an update is available for Adobe Reader software.
- By clicking this Update option, an updater window will pop up on the screen.
- Now, go for the latest version of this software. Click on the latest version, and then select ‘Install Now’ button to install the most updated version.
- Then, restart your device.
- After restarting the device, open the Adobe Reader software and check if the issue still persists or not.
Method 2: Repair the PDF File
If the PDF file is corrupted, then it will not open and the error code 14 will appear on the screen. So, you need to repair this PDF file. There is a myriad of software by which you can repair the file. One of the best software to do that is PDFaid.com and you can easily repair the PDF file by this software. So, follow the easy guidelines to repair the PDF document by PDFaid.com:
- First of all, invoke the PDFaid.com in a browser.
- Click on the ‘Select the PDF File’ option.
- Then, select the particular PDF document which you are unable to open in Adobe Reader.
- You can enter some optional PDF properties in the text boxes.
- Now, select the ‘Repair PDF’ button to repair this document.
- After repairing, choose the ‘Download PDF’ button to save the PDF file.
- Now, open the Adobe Reader software and try to open the PDF file. If you are encountering this error 14 till now, then you should try the other methods to eradicate this issue.
Method 3: Extract Pages from the PDF
By extracting pages from the PDF can help you out from this troublesome issue. Most of the users report that they get benefit by performing this simple method. So, it’s a worth try for you. To do so, you have to download the Sejda PDF extractor, and then follow the guidelines instructed below:
- First of all, invoke the Sejda PDF extractor in a browser.
- Then, select a document by clicking the ‘Upload PDF files’ option. You can also select a document from Dropbox or Google Drive by clicking on the small arrow.
- After that, select the pages to extract from the document by clicking their thumbnail images.
- Now, click on the ‘Extract pages’ option.
- A window will pop up on the screen automatically.
- Now, go for the ‘Download’ option to save the extracted PDF file.
Method 4: Repair Registry Entries Associated with Error 14
We suggest to backup of your documents before trying this method. Just go through these steps one by one to repair the corrupted or damaged registry files:
- At first, select the Start button of your computer.
- Now, go to the search box and type ‘command’.
- Now, press and hold the Ctrl and Shift combination on the keyboard. Press the Enter key.
- A permission dialog box will pop up on the screen.
- Now, click on Yes to grant the permission.
- A black box will be opened automatically.
- Now, type ‘regedit’ in the search box, and then press the enter key.
- The Registry Editor will open.
- Then, you have to select the Adobe Reader which you are willing to back up.
- Now, go to the File menu.
- Then, choose the Export option from this menu.
- You have to choose the folder to save the backup key in ‘Save In’ list.
- Now, rename the backup file.
- You have to go to the Export range box and make sure that the ‘Selected branch’ is selected.
- Now, select the Save button.
- The file will be saved with a .REG file extension.
Now, the process is completed and it’s time to check the issue still strikes or not. If you are bothered with this error code 14 still, then you need to scan your device by Antivirus software.
Method 5: Conduct a Full Malware Scan of your PC
Sometimes, due to the virus or malware infection, PDF documents will not open and Adobe Reader software might crash. Then, scanning your device is a better option to mitigate this error 14. To do so, just follow the easy instructions cited below:
- First of all, install a reliable antivirus.
- After completing the installation process, open the software.
- Now, you can find an option like ‘Scan your PC’. just, go for this to eradicate all the virus-infected files.
- This process will take several minutes even an hour to complete successfully.
- After completion, check if you still confront the Adobe Reader Error 14 or not.
Method 6: Try to Open the PDF with Alternative Software
This is the last option left to get rid out of this error. You can try to open the PDF with some alternative software like Edge, Foxit Reader, Universal File Opener, etc. This is not exactly a fixing method, but you can try this resolution which might help you out from this error code 14.
These are the six easy ways by which you can troubleshoot this Adobe Reader error code 14 completely on your device. Make sure you follow all the steps correctly and as per the order given here. If you are still struggling or do not consider yourself tech-savvy, seek help from the experts.